ERP and CRM packages from vendors such as SAP, Salesforce, Oracle and Microsoft present you with 3 main challenges before you can use their metadata with your data management projects. If you cannot overcome these significant hurdles quickly the results can be delays, cost overruns, under-delivery and in some extreme cases project cancellation.
- Challenge 1: Finding and accessing your metadata. The ‘business friendly’ metadata that you need from these systems is not in their standard relational database system catalog. This means that using standard scanners will not give you anything useful from which to work to find what you need. The metadata is held in a series of data dictionary tables or hidden behind an API so it can be difficult to get at. It is also vital that you are able to find all the customisations you have made to your implementation of the package.
- Challenge 2: Curating your metadata. Once you have accessed the metadata, you need to be able to organise it to identify relationships between tables and other objects. This is essential so that you can easily curate the metadata into relevant subsets. The problem is that these systems have very large and data models which makes navigation difficult. For example a typical SAP system has over 90,000 tables and even a relatively modest JD Edwards application has over 5,000.
- Using your metadata with other products and technologies. Once you have identified the metadata you need for your project you will want to use it to provision other environments. These could be data catalog or governance platforms, enterprise metadata management, data warehouse, ETL or data modeling tools.
We developed Safyr® to enable you to dramatically shorten the time to value for projects which involve data from the main ERP and CRM packages by giving you the means to solve these challenges quickly and cost-effectively..
Safyr reduces the time, cost and resources needed for ERP metadata discovery, often by as much as 90%, whilst at the same time improving accuracy and compliance.
What is Safyr?
Safyr® is the industry’s only dedicated metadata discovery software for ERP/CRM systems. Safyr gives your analysts, architects and other data professionals the ability to access, understand, share and utilise the underlying data structures for these applications.
There is no need to have to wait for, or rely on technical specialists, external consultants, incomplete documentation, internet searches or partial technical solutions.
Safyr lets you shine a light on the rich and valuable metadata in your applications which has previously been easily inaccessible.
- How Safyr solves challenge 1. Once you connect Safyr to your source application, the product will automatically collect the metadata in your system, including customisations, and store it in a repository. This is a fast and straightforward process. For example it takes Safyr less than 2 hours to complete this task with the largest SAP systems.
- How Safyr solves challenge 2. Once the metadata is stored in the repository Safyr automatically finds the relationships between tables as well as other objects and builds an application hierarchy if supported by the source. Safyr caters for the differences that may exist in individual ERP’s. This is all made available immediately for you and you data analysts and architects to access, analyze and start to create the subsets you need for your project.
- How Safyr solves challenge 3. Once you have created your subsets you will want to be able to share them with other products and technologies. Safyr has pre built integrations which allow you to provision products such as Collibra, Informatica EDC, SAP PowerDesigner and Erwin automatically. It can also export to XML, CSV, XLS formats for use with other products as well as to Silwood’s own ERDiagrammer and Compare tools.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to see how Safyr works with your ERP.
How does it work?
The only dedicated metadata discovery solution
Benefits of Safyr
SAFYR FUNCTIONALITY MATRIX
(Click image to download pdf)